This delicacy from Southern Jutland is traditionally served at Easter and will be included in our buffet from 13 – 22 April.
NB: The eggs must be prepared at least 2–3 days before they are eaten.
Ketty’s recipe for solæg – eggs cured in salted water:
- 20 eggs (ideally small or medium-sized)
- The dry skins of two onions
- 8 tbsp. salt
- 2 litres water
- Boil the eggs for 30–40 minutes.
- Allow the eggs to cool slightly and then crush the eggs shells without removing them (so that the lovely marble pattern will form on the eggs).
- Boil the water with salt and onion skins. The resulting liquid gives the marble pattern on the eggs its wonderful colour.
- Allow the liquid to cool slightly and pour over the eggs – the eggs should be covered by the liquid.
- Leave the eggs for 2-3 days before serving. The eggs will keep for 2–3 weeks.